Could this be Los Angeles in 5 years?
Archive for January 5, 2010
The Great Chiweenie gives his approval after riding the race course of the SoCal Cyclocross presented by the High Desert Cyclists.
Streetsblog LA is reporting that Dr. Christopher Thompson was sentenced to 5 years in jail for injuring 2 cyclists on Mandeville Canyon:
Also reported on L.A. Now (LA Times):
Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Scott T. Millington called the case a “wake-up call” to motorists and cyclists and urged local government to provide riders with more bike lanes. He said he believed that Thompson had shown a lack of remorse during the case and that the victims were particularly vulnerable while riding their bicycles.
I’ve been listening to a radio show called Bike Talk! It’s about everything imaginable to do with bicycling in Los Angeles and Southern California and beyond.
Recent shows have included:
- An interview at the Dutch consulate about bicycling in the Netherlands.
- An interview with a bike messenger in New York who has been involved in all aspects of bicycling for many years. (He told some fascinating stories.)
- The LA Bike Plan.
- A mountain biking event.
There is an archive of previous shows located here. Check it out for stuff that interests you.
The show is broadcast live on KPFK 90.7 Saturday nights at 11:00 p.m.
You can also do what I do — download the Bike Talk! podcast from iTunes. That way, you can listen at your leisure on your iPod.
UPDATE: According to LA Streetsblog’s Calendar, the schedule for upcoming episodes of Bike Talk! is:
- Saturday, January 9, 2010, Bike Talk on Kill Radio, 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, January 12, 2010, Bike Talk on KPFK 90.7 FM – Pacifica Radio, 11:00 p.m.
- Saturday, January 16, 2010, Bike Talk on Kill Radio, 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, January 19, 2010, Bike Talk on KPFK 90.7 FM – Pacifica Radio, 11:00 p.m.
- Saturday, January 23, 2010, Bike Talk on Kill Radio, 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
UPDATE II: Downloading Bike Talk from iTunes:
- Open iTunes.
- Click on iTunes Store.
- On the Menu List at the top of the page, click on Podcasts>Audio Podcasts.
- In the Search box in the upper right-hand corner, type “Bike Talk.”
- Click on the icon for Bike Talk – KPFK 90.7 FM or the text.
- This takes you to the description of the podcast. Below the description, you will see a list of episodes.
- To the right of the Bike Talk icon is the SUBSCRIBE button. Click on the SUBSCRIBE button to subscribe to the podcast.