As you know, we pay nearly $25,000 per volunteer for volunteers at each Century event. (Just kidding) In past years it has been very easy to attract volunteers because of our generous giving policy. In return, we simply asked for a $24,499 donation back from the volunteer. (Just kidding again) This created a net expense to the club of $1.00 for each event per volunteer. (Just kidding, we really don’t pay for volunteers!). Because times are tough, we’re asking volunteers to continue to work for free……..
For the 2012 HDC Fall Century we are once again NOT PAYING for volunteers, but we know you can help bring them to us because of your charm and exceptional wit. Kids make good donations for volunteers, and sometimes it’s cheaper to donate the child, and take a deduction on your tax return in lieu of picking him up after the ride event. There have been many times during my 4 kids life when a donation sounded really attractive…
In this election year I ask you to please,
“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
Okay, maybe this is overkill, but please bring us volunteers. We still have room for the following positions.
- Volunteers are needed to man our 4 rest stops. Don’t worry, we’ll make sure you have a tent in case we forget you after the ride is over.
- We also need -Roving sag to keep our riders safe out on the course. For those of you in Rio Linda California, SAG stands for Support and Gear, but we also refer to it as your only friend when you need one most.
- Since we plan on registering folks the day of the ride, we’ll need folks to man the registration check in area. (The beginning of the ride is when everyone looks their best, so this spot goes fast for single boys and girls, get your spots early).
- Setup and clean up. We don’t have our parents with us on this ride, so we really need help with set up and clean up. We promised not to tell your spouses you were cleaning up… We don’t want your spouse to have false expectations going forward.
- We need pickup trucks or SUV’s to take tables/chairs/popups and supplies out to the rest stops. We have lots of rednecks here in the AV, so someone has to have a pickup or SUV besides the 3 diesel trucks in my driveway!
So there it is, our special needs list. Contact Michael Lemos at firstname.lastname@example.org directly as he has generously put together a talented team of terrific tabulators that will keep track of where everyone goes the day of the ride.